The Vital Signs Model
- Measure and Improve the Drivers of Organizational Performance
- 70% of organizational change efforts fail, primarily due to the people-side.
- How do you develop the insight to stay in the 30%?
To define “performance,” we tap the concept of a balanced scorecard and consider that a high performing leader, team, or organization will balance the two axes shown to the right so:
- There is a clear direction and path to it: Strategy
- That direction is put into action: Operations
- There are systems to focus on customers and deliverables: Organization
- Great people want to work there in a context that supports performance: People
How is the “weather” in your workplace?
A healthy climate will be balanced across the four dimensions of the model (people organization and strategy-operations), and this will lead to higher levels of team member engagement.
The survey addresses the four factors that shape climate plus an overlay dimension of Trust:
- Motivation is the source of energy to overcome challenges, pursue a goal, or maintain commitment.
- Change is the readiness to innovate and adapt to succeed in a continuously evolving situation.
- requires a sense of shared purpose and belonging.
- Execution is the ability to achieve strategic results by implementing effective tactics.
Trust is a feeling of confidence, faith, and surety that engenders a willingness to risk and facilitates success in other climate factors.
The LEADERSHIP Vital Signs Model (LVS)
Measure and Improve the Drivers of Leadership Performance
LVS is a powerful online 360 feedback tool used for accelerating change and strengthening leadership. An LVS self-assessment is also available,
In a change process, leaders need to understand their capacity for leading both the operational and people sides of change. The LVS offers objective, powerful feedback in a framework that supports the leader to turn the feedback into action.
Leaders rarely receive truly useful feedback. The structure and process of LVS captures and categorizes input from a range of key partners so leaders understand their impact both on the people and on the tactical side of performance.
The typical performance evaluation is highly subjective, inconsistent, and difficult to action. Using LVS, performance feedback is balanced, meaningful, actionable, and consistent.
At a Glance:
Focus: Rapid, actionable feedback on leader’s capacity to generate results
Value: Improve leadership; ideal when also using other VS tools as a performance model
Uses: Change, people strategy, development, performance appraisal etc.
Research: Scores predict sustainability, results, satisfaction, agility
The TEAM Vital Signs Model (TVS)
Measure and Improve The Drivers of Team Performance
Team Vital Signs is a validated, web-enabled assessment that quickly captures essential indicators of your te
am’s health — and offers a clear path toward peak performance.
In the change process, the bonds of teams are tested. High trust, highly effective teams are capable of leading change during the process. Others implode. The TVS is ideal for strengthening teams that will be critical in a change process.
Just because a group of people is working together, they are not necessarily a team. The TVS identifies the areas where the group really is a team… and where they are not. Because the TVS dimensions are actionable, the results naturally lead to effective action planning for improvement
To what extent is a development program actually improving results? TVS offers a rapid process for measuring these results, both in terms of team dynamics and the performance outcomes of the improvement.
TVS HELPS YOU…
- Strengthen team effectiveness.
- Prepare for new challenges and changes.
- Open dialogue about the team’s dynamics.
- Measure results of interventions.
- Identify development needs.
- Create a shared vision of what it means to be a team.
- Pinpoint areas for the leader’s and team members’ attention.
The ORGANISATION Vital Signs Model (OVS)
Measure and Improve Organizational Climate
OVS is statistically reliable research process to pinpoint areas assisting and interfering with growth and bottom-line success. Where a typical “staff satisfaction” measure tells you something about contentment, OVS shows you the drivers of performance in an actionable, practical framework.
Beyond Staff Satisfaction
The organizational climate (or culture) influences critical employee behaviors such as communication, problem-solving, and accountability — factors that affect customers, employees, quality and profitability.
OVS HELPS YOU…
- Create a strategy that works with and through your people.
- Focus and build buy-in for change efforts.
- Quantify the people-side of the organization.
- Accurately assess the effectiveness of development initiatives.
- Prepare for and track restructuring or M&A.
- Identify needs and opportunities for training, communication, and development.
OVS is customized with organizational demographics to create comparisons between roles, sites, levels, divisions, etc. (see example to right).
Additional items are also added to tune into specific organizational issues.